We have received details of the following Conference of which all teachers should be aware. An NATD delegation will be attending. Please let us know if you will be there would like to join us.
Picking up the Pieces will be a conference promoted by the Campaign for State Education, the Socialist Educational Association, Comprehensive Future, Forum and Information for School and College Governors and supported by the Anti-Academies Alliance.
Last year the “Caught in the Act” Conference analysed the implications of the Gove revolution for our schools and our communities. We’re now half way through this parliament so it seems like the right time for our next conference to consider what the practical agenda of the next government should be.
The conference is called “Picking up the Pieces” because that will be the task of the next government – putting together the pieces of a fragmented education system, creating a curriculum and examination system that is relevant to the 21st century information age and putting equal opportunities back at the centre of policy.
It will take place on Saturday 17th November at the Camden Centre in Central London very close to Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross stations. The aim will be generate ideas so that a future government can begin to rebuild our public education service.
The speakers at the Conference will be:
· Stephen Twigg, MP Shadow Secretary of State for Education
· Francis Beckett Author and journalist
· Tim Brighouse Former Director of Education for Birmingham and Schools Commissioner for London
· Peter Downes Specialist in school finance, former headteacher, past president of the secondary heads association and Liberal Democratic councillor.
· Peter Mortimore Professor of Education and former Director of the Institute of Education, London
· David Wolfe QC Specialist in education law and author of the definitive blog on education law “A Can of Worms
We hope very much that you will be able to join us on this important occasion.
For up-to-date information go to: http://tinyurl.com/PutP2012.
You can book for the conference:
Conference fee: £25 in advance, £30 on the day.
Online at http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/27512 (plus booking fee) or
By post – please send cheques for £25 with your name and contact details payable to “CASE” to: Picking up the Pieces, c/o 160 Melrose Avenue, London, NW2 4JY